This is a very pretty dress whether you choose a plain fabric, a printed one, or to combine them both.
Choose the paper size before downloading. Depending on your printer you can have this pattern as an A4 or as a Letter size.
Points to consider:
- If the fabric is not wide enough to cut a skirt in one piece you can do it in three parts - one whole for the front of the skirt and two as a back pieces. Alternatively the skirt can be cut in crosswise grain, providing it is not stretchy.
- If you would like to make a lettuce edge finish on the frills place them on bias, that will give you the necessary stretch for a pretty rolled hem.
- If the fabric you have chosen is very thin, use an interfacing for the armhole and neck. It will stabilize the curved edges, helping them to keep shape.
Pattern layout suggestion.
Dressmaking techniques used in this dress:
Dress with a frilly top. Assembly instructions.
- Stitch the shoulder seams of centre and side panels.
- Prepare the frills - finish the raw edge, and gather the frill to the required length.
- Sandwich the frills between the centre and side panels, baste to keep them in place. Stitch and overlock them .
- Close the side seams.Overlock the edges.
- Prepare the facings. Neck facing is stitched at the shoulders, armhole facing has seams both at the shoulders and at the sides. Overlock the raw edge.
- Finish the armholes. Place the facing and the armhole right sides in, make sure to align the side and shoulder seams on both pieces. Stitch all the way around. Notch the curved sections and turn the facing to the wrong side. Press for the smooth finish. Do a backstitching if desired. See curved seams.
- Run the the two rows of long stitches along the top of the skirt piece.
- Gather the skirt to a required width. Baste the top and the skirt together, make sure that the folds are evenly distributed all around the waist. Stitch together, when satisfied.
- Stitch the back of the dress leaving the opening for the zipper. Insert the zipper.
- Apply the neckline facing.
- Hem and steam the dress.